Every 10 years, the U.S. Census Bureau conducts a census to count or survey those living in the United States and the five U.S. territories. The results of the census help determine congressional representation and federal funding.
The next census will be April 1, 2020.
How do I complete the Census?
- The Census can be completed through the mail by filling out the census forms mailed to your household and mailing them back; or
- Filling out the census online at www.2020census.gov.
Why is the census important to Robbinsdale?
The census is critical to better understanding and representing our community. Census data is used for:
- Representation: Census data determines the number of seats each state has in the U.S. House of Representatives, as well as the size of state and local voting districts. Minnesota is at risk of losing a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Funding: Census data guides approximately $589 billion in federal spending allocated to local communities each year, including more than $15 billion distributed to Minnesota communities. Even one missed person could mean forfeiting $15,000 in funding for the next ten years.
- Planning: Census data helps decision-makers plan transportation, schools, hospitals, senior centers, emergency services and other needs to best serve changing demographics.
- Businesses: Census data assists businesses in investing in the community including locating businesses, factories and stores, recruiting employees and conducting market research.
Everyone counts! The City of Robbinsdale is determined to reach everyone and ensure a complete count that accurately represents our community.
For more information, visit the Minnesota State Demographic Center's website
Work for the U.S. Census Bureau
The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring for a variety of positions to help with the 2020 Census. To be eligible, you must be 18 years old, have a valid Social Security number and be a U.S. citizen. The pay rate for a census taker position in Hennepin County starts at $25.00 per hour.
To learn more or apply only, visit the 2020 Census jobs webpage.